Fact: Chrissy and I just heard a big thump and suspect that Jesse has fallen out of his bed.
Fact: That there has been no wailing suggests that he is still there, asleep.
Fact: As of today, Chrissy is in her third trimester.
With these three unrelated facts, let's launch into the post for today on the topic of "Things We Like." In particular, but certainly not exhaustively, I'd like to mention two: strawberries and friends. Jesse and Chrissy got out for one last-minute opportunity to collect some strawberries, their annual tradition at this time of year. For the rest of us Vances, this means strawberry shortcake, which must have been specifically designed by the heavenly powers to give us a foretaste of things divine.
We also had two friends join us for short periods today. The first was Wendy Hummel, who stopped by to collect some raspberries, which will be used to create jam for both our families. Wendy and the Hummel family have become important parts of our life, especially recently, so it was great to have her drop by.
Second, our friend Tyler dropped by for some supper and a movie. Knowing that Tyler has trained himself in the horticultural arts, I took the opportunity to quiz him on pretty much every part of my garden. A few take-aways: it is ok (and sometimes necessary) to trim plants. Also, I think I need to water all of them a bit more. Good to know.
Apart from knowing his plants and being really good with our kids, I've enjoyed some pretty deep conversations with this guy about politics, economics, theology... space... you name it. Tonight we watched a film called Gravity. Perhaps you've seen it? Great story, and quite visually arresting. It doesn't really offer anything new with regard to understanding the meaning of life, except that we need to be brave and make the most of it? (I really wish we could get some Christian production company to actually create a really good movie. I'm still waiting to see one, although Anna Karenina was a great option in the meantime. Some other films have come close.)
Here are some of the highlights in photographic form.
| The dynamic duo hard at work ensuring no shortage of strawberry shortcake tonight. |
| Wendy visits. Robyn was kind of in the "suspicious glare" kind of mood. |
Until next time...
No comments:
Post a Comment