Tuesday, May 20, 2014

THE BLOG CONTROVERSY

Controversy has never been something we've avoided here at Apartment 1004, but I must admit that it is usually constrained to the content of the blog material (ie., Janna randomly wields a butcher knife; chaos ensues). This evening, however, I had my first "blog fight" with my wise and beautiful wife over the editorial decisions surrounding this publication. As she has threatened to revive rival blog "Vance Palace Tales" in protest, I must at the very least acknowledge her wildly divergent opinion on where tonight's post should have gone.

Which I will do at the end.

First, my vision:

A Straightforward Tale of Great Joy

This story is a very simple and straightforward one, as foreshadowed in the heading above. We came, we saw, we barbecued. 
Meet the protagonists of this story: miscellaneous goopy chickens. Not much too look at, are they? Never fear. They are about to "rise from the ashes," so to speak, and transform into something much more glorious.

(Chrissy failed to appreciate the inherent nobility of this transformation. "That's gross," she said.)
Behold, the goopy chickens are already transforming into a eye-watering, heart-rending example of purity and goodness.
The transformation is complete. The goopy chickens have become an example of culinary beauty, an architectural wonder, and a practical means to feed a hungry family. Amen.
Feeling satisfied, I leaned back in my chair and exhaled slowly, already anticipating the joy my post would bring to the hearts of my thousands of readers.

"Seriously?" I hear. "Those are the pictures you're going to post? But you have two really cute photos of the girls right there."

I patiently explained that we post many cute photos of the girls, and that what the world really wanted to read was a redemption story about chicken.

Chrissy was unconvinced. "How about one photo of the chicken?"

Offended, I argued that one photo was more of a chicken "moment" than a chicken "story". I needed more character development than that.

This is where the threat to revive the rival blog was introduced, so in order to take the upper road and avoid a full-out blog war (which nobody wants), may I quickly introduce the alternative vision for tonight:

The Personalities of Our Children Caught in Three Random Photographs

These were just three random photographs that Chrissy happened to take today. Admittedly, they do a pretty good job of capturing the budding personalities of the Vancelets.


Robyn, standing on the couch, with a look of inexplicable enthusiasm on her face.

Janna chats away with Nana, likely lamenting about the ants that have recently been terrorizing her. 

Jesse, with an intimidating-and-indefinable expression on his face. I'm really not sure what to make of this, but this is the side of Jesse that people don't get to see so often.

 Well there you have it? Who wins? I mean, it's really not a contest. Come on, guys.

(But really, it was the chicken, right? Right?)

Argumentatively yours,
Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment