Saturday, July 21, 2012

Forty Kilometers, Two Hours: No Problem!

And by no problem, I mean that my body has literally shut down, and Chrissy may need to carry me to bed.

How did this happen, you might ask? Well, it all began when I suggested to my small group that we should go for a bike trip together. One person accepted, a man by the name of Paul Dagenais. The same Paul Dagenais, you may recall, that opened up to us the wonderful world of Andrew Hayden Park.



The thing about Paul is, he’s in pretty good shape. I, on the other hand, am less so, to put it mildly. Thankfully, he was a pretty fantastic biking partner and let me set the pace. We started off at Bayshore, went over Island Park bridge, biked along the River on the Gatineau side for a while, and eventually ended up back at Parliament.

We also visited a church called Calvary Fellowship, which was pretty sweet. Small group, great message, awesome community! Check it out!

Finally, we headed back home, in the dark for most of the way. I have to admit, there were a few times when I thought I wasn't going to be able to make it up the LONG, LONG hills, and the wind blew directly into our faces for a decent part of the trip. I let Paul draft me for a good chunk because I knew he could use the extra training! 

Finally, we returned, 10:00pm. After having a little chat with Chrissy, I found that my whole body had seized up, rendering me inert. Chrissy was kind enough to lead me through some good cool down stretches that were incredibly painful, but I could move again afterwards.

What a good day! Thanks Paul (and Chrissy)!

Until next time...

Ready to brave the long, long road!

How Ottawa looks from Aylmer. What a beautiful day for a bike trip!

3 comments: