Up until about 10 or 11 o’clock, I was planning to name this
post, “A Mundane Day.” By lunchtime, however, I had changed my mind and decided
to call it, “A Horrible, Awful Day”!
Why the sudden change of heart for the worse, you might be
thinking? Did something “horrible” or “awful” happen? Actually, no. It was
simply one of those ordinary days when both kids were in a bad mood, and
I was home alone to deal with the drama.
Jesse’s bad mood took the form of clinginess. He wanted me
to do everything with him, play trains, blocks, stamps, play-doh, etc. This wouldn’t
be all that bad if I didn’t need to eat breakfast, clean, make snacks, lunches,
etc. There was no breathing room! He exacerbated matters by intermittently
poking Janna, stealing her toys, and lecturing her on her manners and the
various ways she was breaking the rules. And peeing himself.
A bad mood for Janna is easy to spot. She just looks at me
and cries. ALL DAY.
So, lunch time found me with my head on the table, dolefully
studying the various grains in its quasi-wood, Ikea surface.
I think this photo accurately captured the dominant mood of
our family as we joyously prepared to play outside.
Enter Chrissy Vance. As she opened the door in her return
from work, it was as though sunshine was directly infusing our withered souls
with life!
She seemed to quickly sense the desperate mood of the
homestead, and set to work creating the one thing that could bring redemption
to the otherwise abysmal day...
...PANCAKES!
I literally ate eight pancakes. As I held up that final mouth-watering, soul-restoring delicacy, I reflected to myself that I might be
the luckiest guy in the world.
Indeed, Chrissy’s cooking creations were not limited to the
pancakes which were bestowed upon us today; she has been whisking up
masterpieces all week. Let me give you a brief list of some of her recent works
of culinary art:
- Pasta pomodoro
- Seared pork chops with creamy mushrooms
- Sesame scallops with pistachio brown rice
- Cocktail meatballs
I can barely type these words without tearing up.
Chrissy, for all you do, this blog post’s for you! I love
you babe.
WOW! You are one lucky guy!
ReplyDelete