Monday, August 13, 2012

An Ethical Question

Well, today was one of those days. Janna was pretty consistently upset this morning, so we thought we'd take her for a check-up at the walk-in clinic to make sure there was nothing seriously wrong before our big trip home tomorrow.

That basically took care of our day until about 3:00 (she checked out ok, although the dr. wants us to get some blood tests when we get back to check her iron levels).

Since we packed this evening, I basically have nothing to blog about, except a quick mini-review on The Bourne Legacy and a controversial ethical question.

First, the movie. I can't say much without spoiling it, but I'll just say that I was disappointed. I think the actors  and actresses gave strong performances (especially Edward Norton - that guy can act!), but the story itself was lacking.

Secondly, the important ethical question:

At what point should a dad insist that his son's underwear is on backwards?


This is the question that faced me this morning as we prepared for our morning activities. I asked Jesse to put on his underwear, and this is what he gave me. I told him, in the gentlest way I could think of, "Jesse, I love you, but your underwear is on backwards."

He looked at me, offended, and said in a rather condescending tone, "No, Dad, they're perfect."

I'm sure my eyes probably boggled as I searched for an appropriate reply, but finding none, I simply shrugged and said, "Ok!"

I felt mildly guilty for the rest of the day. Underwear is constructed in a particular way for a specific reason, and I figured he probably felt a little uncomfortable for next few hours but didn't understand why. So my question is, should I have overridden his silly little misguided impulse, or was I right to let him have his way?

Any opinions/comments are welcome.

On a different note, since we'll be travelling back to Ottawa tomorrow, there will be no blog post. Hope to have a wonderful tale of peaceful travels to share on Wednesday!

Until then...

5 comments:

  1. Ewan often 'chooses' to wear his underwear backwards and inside out. One day he even tried to convince me his pants were supposed to have the zipper at the back and not be able to button up! I just go with it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid I would never think twice about my child's sensitive feelings - I would just tell them they were wrong and get them to fix it. Perhaps I SHOULD be a bit more empathetic though... but all children are so different. Eli would never be offended, if I told him his undies were on backwards he would probably laugh and make me chase him to fix them, but would never be upset that he had done it wrong. I guess it comes down to knowing your own child :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did the right thing by letting him keep them on backwards! He did do it by himself after all, and he was probably proud of that! If he was really uncomfortable he'd let you know. I know that Naomi becomes very easily discouraged if we try to fix all her mistakes. I have to choose which ones are non-negotiable, and which ones I can let slide.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally I think the real question is how embarrassed will be he in 15 years when he sees that picture on the Internet for all to see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LAUGHED SO HARD WHEN I SAW THAT LITTLE BUM! And I agree, Mary. That IS the real question.

    ReplyDelete