All of us, in our lives, have had our share of successes and failures. Failures are good, we say, because they teach us what not to do in the future. I'd like to submit two things that I have learned today regarding what NOT to do with your children.
Thing #1: Take Your Eyes Off Your Kids, Even For A Second
Because one second is all it takes for Janna to launch
herself onto her head on the walkway. I know I sound like a typical dad when I
say this, but she just fell over! One
minute she was standing up with a big smile on her face, the next minute she
was on her face with tears streaming down the sidewalk. It was pretty tragic.
She was a good sport about it, though. Here she is, sporting
her new band-aid accessory with style!
Thing #2: Take Your Young Children to Dairy Queen
After supper, Chrissy and I thought to ourselves, “It’s hot
outside. Let’s take the kids to Dairy Queen for chocolate dip cones before bed!”
What could go wrong?
I should probably mention that I am a little bit (very) uptight
when it comes to sticky messiness. I can handle some clutter on the floor, but
if my arm sticks to the table, I have a hard time breathing.
Well, as it turns
out, chocolate dip cones are messy, and although we asked for small cones, it
turns out that no cone is small enough to contain a child’s inherent ability to
spread grossness to all corners of the immediate vicinity. Allow me to narrate the thoughts of my family throughout this encounter.
“I am so excited to smear this cone all over my face!”
“Now I will pay Dad back for letting me fall on my head.”
“I’m a little tired, and wondering how Dad will react to all
of this.
But overall, I think it’s pretty funny and I’m enjoying this experience.”
But overall, I think it’s pretty funny and I’m enjoying this experience.”
“Keep breathing.... in and out....”
“I can’t believe how much ice cream I just dropped onto my shirt!”
“Where did the top of my ice cream come go? Oh well!”
Honestly, it wasn’t as bad as I’m making it sound. It was, I’m
willing to admit, a pretty fun experience, even if I did smell a lot like milk
by the end of it.
All the same, I think I’ll wait a few years before making
our next trip to DQ.
Hilarious. You must love revellos. Remind me to get some for your kiddies when you are here. Janna never cries so that must have been a bad tumble. Doesn't she deserve a fancy bandaid like the one Jesse is sporting on his knee? :)
ReplyDeletePoor little Janna! Being the aunt of a niece who has to wear a helmet the vast majority of the time (unless she is playing on soft grass or sand away from hard objects) due to constant falls, I can vouch for the fact that sudden unforeseen falls do happen. And they are usually okay! She looks like she's appreciating that ice cream.
ReplyDelete