Well, these days I've been feeling a little like a stay-at-home dad, what with my staying at home while Chrissy works. But I have never liked the term "stay-at-home dad." In times like these, I prefer to think of myself as a
"HOUSE MAN."

So, when Chrissy left me at home with my daughter yesterday, I was determined to demonstrate to the world how awesome housemanship can be. Immediately upon Chrissy's departure, I decided to fix Janna's favourite toy.
(It was really hard. There were at least eight screws, sand paper was involved, and Janna stole the pink button and hid it on me.)
The next item on the agenda was actually dressing Janna. I opened up the dresser and found this puzzling mass of clothing. Now, I consider myself to be at least
competent in my ability to dress myself (I'd give myself a solid 7 out of 10), but I have NO IDEA how to dress a girl! Look at these clothes!
Look at all the flowers, stripes, and pink! What goes with this stuff?????? Half of these clothes were neither t-shirts nor shorts; they fit into some other unidentified category of clothing that remains a mystery to me.
I refused to accept defeat. Voila - the flowery "shirt" with the yellowish "shorts." I think she presents a pretty striking figure. Classy, yet modest.
The plan for us was to go to town together, stretch our legs, and pick up a couple of CDs with a gift certificate I had been given. Here we are waiting for the bus, Janna munching away happily on her snack (raisins and fish crackers, with some surprise gummies thrown in at the bottom). I am practicing my best protective father stance.
We may have stepped off the bus at the wrong stop. We hiked up Merivale Rd.
for a while. Janna was a trooper, and kept giving me high fives and swatting my face (and then giggling).
Later, when Chrissy and Jesse returned, I took it upon myself to take both kids out for a stroll around the block - no simple task! Especially when Jesse kept pretending to be a lion while I was attempting to sun-screen him. Here he is, giving me his best "lion face."
Suiting up for our next little adventure. I again submit that there is nothing quite so powerful and impressive as a man wearing a child carrier.
House men of the world - unite!
Good one Dave! Some great pictures of you and Janna.
ReplyDeleteHouse Man? I feel like that is something you should get Chrissy to screenprint onto a t-shirt for you.
ReplyDeleteAs for your sartorial challenge with a cute little miss, I think you did relatively well! I am admittedly surprised, but pleased! Mostly for Janna, who easily could've ended up in a terrible outfit and unable to save herself.
Rob and I are thoroughly enjoying your blog, Dave! Keep up the great writing!
ReplyDeleteAwesome! Thanks guys. I'm sure Rob can relate well to daughter dressing, although he probably has it down pretty well by now.
ReplyDeleteRebecca: I looked up sartorial in the dictionary, and I am flattered by the compliment. I'll try to continue surprising you (in a positive sense) with my fashion choices in the future!