Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Dave Vance: Romantic

For the past week, I've been creating this great master plan to impress my wife by secretly organizing a night out for the two of us. 

This romantic evening would include dinner on the patio at Malone's (overlooking Dow's Lake), followed by a scenic walk along the Rideau Canal, and finishing with a stroll through the Ottawa Arboretum (huge, beautiful garden).

I enlisted the help of one of my friends (thanks Matt Pavey!) to watch the kids for the evening, made the reservations, and cleaned the house so that Chrissy wouldn't be thinking about the mess at home.

Unfortunately, I didn't plan for the weather. No sooner did I finish cleaning the house than the sky turned dark and the clouds poured out their destruction on my plans. 

However, my beautiful wife was the best of sports. She had the best attitude, and said she didn't mind the rain at all; it was kind of relaxing. Instead of taking a walk down the Canal to the Arboretum, we went on a mission to find Chrissy's childhood home, which she has not seen for twenty years (she had lived in Ottawa as a child until she was seven years old).

It was very cool! As we approached her old house, she began to remember more and more of the area around her: houses of her friends, old forts, places where her brothers were hit by cars, etc. In the end, her strongest impression was that everything seemed way smaller than it had when she was a kid. 

Altogether, a successful evening, despite the rain. Next time, though, I'll watch the weather a little more closely.

2 comments: